Want to be a Taxi Driver?
Cheap Cabs offers full training to help you in your new career.
There are two ways of joining the industry, as a driver or as an owner driver.
To drive a taxi you require a passenger endorsement on your licence and an Auckland metro area knowledge. To get an endorsement you need to have held a full licence for 2 years, no medical conditions that affect professional driving, and no major criminal or driving convictions.
- Medical certificate (driving)
- Pass a full driving test (if not tested in the past 5 years)
- Pass a passenger theory test
- Land transport vetting
- Pass Auckland metro area knowledge
- Cost $ 580.00 plus study books
- WINZ subsidies maybe available
Time frame for processing (land transport) 6 to 8 weeks
Drivers can work on a casual basis and earn up to $20 per hour of driving or can hire a vehicle and earn greater income. To hire a vehicle a driver requires a passenger service licence also.
Owner drivers require a passenger endorsement as laid out above. And a passenger service licence, requirements for this licence are;
- No major criminal convictions
- Pass a theory test in relation to owning and operating a small passenger vehicle
- Cost $ 570.00
Time frame for processing (land transport) 6 to 8 weeks.
NB: Both driving and owners licences can be done at the same time
All our training is done by our in house training partner.